Thursday, November 22, 2012

Hashtag grateful

It's November! How? I mean...the ten months leading up to this definitely happened, right? I feel like it's been a blink. In the spirit of my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, I'm jumping on that #grateful bandwagon, and going to blog out my most favorite things, and the things I'm most thankful for in this month, in this year.


In no particular order...

1. Luck: Well, y'all have seen the news, and the aftereffects of good ol' Sandy, the Frankenstorm of 2012. For whatever reason, my little Astoria was left almost completely untouched by Miss Sandy. Beyond a few light flickers and some downed trees, things stayed pretty much business-as-usual here. Lots of people I know were not so lucky. Friends of mine were evacuated, people lost their homes, everything they own...and they're maybe ten, fifteen miles away from me. So I count myself lucky. Very, very lucky.

2. 'Guin Twin: My sweet, dear friend Tina ended up in the hospital about a month ago, and nobody really knew why. We still don't really know why. The first couple days, we didn't know if she was going to be okay, or if she'd be able to recover from whatever caused her to pass out. The good news is that she's home, back to normal (well, if you know T, "normal" is a relative term..hehe). But she's back! And better than ever ;). And it made me realize how much I love her, and how much I love all of the friends I've left back in California. 

3. See's Candy: Come on. This stuff is the best. And we don't have it in NY...and it kills me. What I would give for a scotchmallow...or a piece of dark covered ginger...or...dare I say it...BRIDGE MIX?! Ughhh.

4. Sing-a-long-a: We all know the ultimate karma that is my involvement with The Sing Along Sound of Music. The one show I avoided like the plague while doing shows with MET, is the movie that I travel all over the country hosting the Sing Along. Now, as I write this I'm currently sitting in the Jacksonville Airport in Florida, awaiting my flight back to NYC. In the last six months, I've traveled all over the US with the Sing Along...North Carolina, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania...just to name a few...and I'm grateful to get to travel! I've met so many people in so many places, and it really gives some perspective on how lucky I am to have grown up in CA and be living in NY. Pretty special. Do-re-mi.

5. New friends: So, I started taking a workshop called Actor Therapy with Ryan Scott Oliver and Lindsay Mendez. I mean, first of all, the class is great. Ryan and Lindsay are wonderful. And they're kicking my ass. In a good way. But on top of that, I have met some of the most wonderful people...people I can see myself being friends with for a very, very, very long time (forever!!). So to those kids, you know who you are, I just love you all to pieces. Lets go to karaoke. 

6. Soap: Yep, I still manage the soap store. And I know I don't give myself enough credit...being a retail manager was never a goal for me. And yet it happened super quickly, and ok ok, I guess I'm sort of good at it. Will it be my career? Nah. I love performing too much for that to happen. But am I grateful for the fact that I have basically the best possible set up for an actor in NY? Totally. AND I smell good all the time. Bonus.

7. The ones who know me best: My dear friends, I have no idea what I would do without each and every one of you. Regardless of how long I've known you, you are each a HUGE deal to me. I love you all very very much, and count myself lucky every single day. Whether we talk everyday, or once a month, or once a year, thank you for the laughs, the smiles, the hugs, for telling me what I need to hear whether or not I want to, for supporting me, for telling me I'm being crazy, for telling me I'm not crazy...this last year has been a lot, and I would not have gotten through it without you all. Love, love, LOVE.

8. Sunshine: I'm from California. I'm used to 70 and sunny. All the time. Living in NY, I'm grateful for seasons, but REALLY appreciate that sunshine when it shows up!

9. MET: You guys. We are CRAZY. Lets take 300+ kids, rehearse them for a few months, put them in a million costumes, and do a musical. WHO DOES THAT?! MET does. And does it SO PERFECTLY. I started my musical theatre journey with you all, and I cannot imagine my life without you, or without the experience MET gave me. Could I be a swing in a show and learn 8 tracks, no problem? Totally. Why? Because I've done it. A million times. Heck, I can even go on as two different characters in the same scene. Done it! The point here is that I love you all. And we've been through a whole lot. The family that I've found in MET make me a better person. Ali, Mama Kathie, Marie, all of the people and families who have touched my life...thank you. Your support and love throughout the years means the WORLD to me. You are all so very special.

10. The sisters: My Coki and Tashi. I have no words for how much I love you both. We're pretty lucky, the three of us...it's not everyday that there are sisters who understand each other as well as we do. I would do anything for either of you...and I know you would do the same! I love, love, LOVE you.

11. Smartphones: I hate mine. I hate it. It's the most annoying thing in the world. I hate how everyone walks down the street with their eyes on their screens, texting or looking things up online, but the convenience and accessibility this stupid thing gives me, especially in NYC, is pretty incredible. 

12. Papi and 'Cita: So, my mom and dad are really the greatest. Sure, we've each had our moments, but generally speaking I think I've got two of the best parents in the world. From my dad, I inherited a sense of humor, and a love for music. From my mom, I inherited compassion, a little bit of psychic-ness, and a whole lot of personality. I always say, once you meet my parents, I make a whooooole lot more sense. And I love that I can say that.

13. Nailpolish: My nails are naked right now, and it's freaking me out. There's just something about a fresh mani that juuuust makes a girl happy.

14. Family: My Grammy, my cousins, my aunts and uncles....you are each so wonderful and it's been so fun to grow up in a group like ours! I know I don't get to see you as often as I'd like to, but the time we do get to spend together is the BEST. I love you each so much!

15. Puppies: I WANT ONE SO BAD I CAN'T STAND IT!! They're just so cuuuuute and I want onnnnne. Please? I mean...I'm so grateful for dogs, and I think they're the best, and I can't wait to be in a place where I can have my very own little buddy.

Well y'all...I think with that, it's time to get on that plane back to NYC. Here's to another beautiful Thanksgiving, and another year filled with #gratitude and love, love, LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment